In order to maximize the sale price of our domains we all tell little white lies. Of course I’ve had the same ones told right back to me. Here are my top ten favorite lines hear during negotiations.
1. The fake “other” buyer ” I need to know if you still want the domain because I have someone else who wants to buy it”
2. The rush job. “I’ll offer you X (always a lowball offer) but it’s only good for 24 hours.
3.The “I have a backup domain” buyer. “I will pay you X and if you don’t take it, I have another similar domain I am going to buy that is selling for that
4. “I paid more than that” Well since he paid more that that it must be worth more.
5. The six degrees of separation valuation. He’s trying to sell find-a-doctor dot tv and he keeps using doctors dot com’s recent sale as proof his domain is worth 10k
6. The old ” I haven’t even tried monetizing it” when actuality he couldn’t figure out how to make more than a nickle a day
7. The Reddit one month revenue model. The seller tells me he’s only selling the domain for one year’s revenue. Great traffic ,always turns out to be all from digg,reddit, or proxy traffic
8. The fake PM. During a forum “taking offers” auction you throw in a few hundred dollar bump that an imaginary person sent via PM.