Listed below are updates to the top 10 domain sales from a year ago, as ranked by DN Journal.
1. Wan.com for $800,000
- This is not just any ol’ pronounceable LLL.com……it translates into “play” or “playing games” in Chinese. Alexa rank near 130,000. Per Whois, owned by “Beijing Gamease Age Internet Technology Co., Ltd”.
2. True.com for $350,000
- An acquisition by TrueCar.com, which is publicly traded with a market cap near $1.4 billion. I was surprised to see different sites live at True.com and TrueCar.com. “TrueCar’s mission is to transform the car-buying experience for consumers and the way that dealers attract customers and sell cars.”
3. Wan.cn for $247,830
- Whois shows the same email associated with the owners of Wan.com (above), and Wan.cn, yet this one surprisingly doesn’t resolve.
4. TeamShirts.com for $89,000
- No site resolves. Appears to be an additional site for the people behind the developed SpreadShirts.com, which offers custom t-shirts and t-shirt printing.
5. Offer.net for $50,000
- No site resolves, and the owner is under privacy protection.
6. Heard.com for $40,000
- On the Heard.com domain, the site is entirely branded “Brownie Points”, and an identical site exists on BrowniePoints.com, so I’m guessing either a re-branding is on the way or perhaps a new product. “Brownie Points is a revolutionary app designed to help your kids reach Above Grade Level in math in a matter of months, even if your kids don’t like math now!”
7. Kingdom.co.uk for $31,534
- An upgrade from KingdomSecurity.co.uk. A UK-based security company that is expanding to other services, so they needed a more generic domain. “Formed in 1993 and operating nationally, Kingdom has become one of the largest privately owned companies in the UK within our areas of service expertise.” Alexa rank near 300,000.
8. FYI.tv for $30,000
- Whois shows domain management firm CSC as the owner, but it is used as an A&E Networks domain, which they’re using for their FYI network of shows: “For your inspiration, for your imagination or for your innovation, FYI™ embraces an adventurous, personalized and non-prescriptive approach to peoples’ taste, space, look, story and more. FYI covers a range of stories and experiences that reflect how people actually live their lives today, not defined by just one passion or interest.“ Traffic leader for the week, with an Alexa rank near 100,000.
9. HelloMoney.com for $24,000
- A Chinese-language automotive site of some sort. Alexa rank near 5.3 million. Per a rough Google translation, “HelloMoney is focused on the automotive industry, the Internet banking platform, single-handedly built by a team has a wealth of financial, operational experience of the Internet and physical team, the first IOD leading global investment patterns, truly resolve the whole lending risks, rather than a simple risk control or risk lagging behind.”
10. Lotterie.at for $20,550
- No site resolves. Owned by a “Velvet Enterprises ltd” of London, per Whois.